USA student and Employment

Working Conditions for F1 and M1 visa category:

For those who have chosen US as their destination country to pursue overseas study, they require student visa. Basically there are two, F1 and M1, visa non-immigrant categories under student visa.

One has to meet below criteria in order to be considered for either of these 2 visas:

1). you must enrol with one of the US government approved institute

2). that institution must be approved by SEVIS system

3). you must have sufficient funds to cover up your entire study.

4). you need to have enough English proficiency to cop up with enrolled course.

5). you must have to study as FULL TIME student

As a F1 student visa holder, students are not entitled to work off campus during first academic year but may accept on-campus employment subject to certain conditions.  After first academic year, student may take Curricular Practical Training (CPT) which will be counted towards one year period which all students get as Optional Practical Training (OPT) period at the end of their study. One year OPT period can be extended for another 17 months if the program students have completed is registered under STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics) program. M1 students may take up practical training only at the completion of their study program. Student must have to take authorization from their institution and employment must be in relation to their area of study. Their visa status may be converted to H1B visa if their current or new employer wishes to offer that.