study in usa
Study in USA
The United States is one of the most popular study destinations for the students across the globe. Every year, more than half a million students visit the United States of America (USA) to study and grab an opportunity to learn from the best of its kind educational institutes of USA and acquire the knowledge at different levels. From western hemisphere, the USA is such a country that comprises fifty states and several territories. Forty-eight contiguous states lie in central North America between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans, bounded on land by Canada to the north and Mexico to the south; Alaska is in the northwest of the continent with Canada to its east, and Hawaii is in the mid-Pacific. The USA is a federal constitutional republic with Washington DC as its federal capital.
As the USA is the most popular student hub; hosts more international students than any other country in the world, a number fast approaching 600,000. According to the statistics; international students comprise approximately 4% of the total Undergraduate US University and US college population, and 10% for US graduate school. These international students from every continent chose to study at USA’s educational institutions with a strong belief that they will get better job opportunities after the completion of their studies. USA’s educational institutes would not only groom them to be the best but also help them prepare well to present themselves globally in the areas of their choice.
Population In USA
In 2007; estimate puts USA’s total population to 301,523,000.
Climate Of USA
Because of its large terrestrial size and wide range of geographic features, the USA comprises instances of nearly every global climate comfortable for the international students. The climate is moderate in most areas.
Prime Cities in USA
New York, Los Angles, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Phoenix, San Antonio, San Diego, Dallas, San Jose
Culture & Multiculturism In USA
The USA is a nation with diversity in culture with a wide variety of ideologies, customs and ethnic groups. What makes American culture at a unique footing is the American Dream: The idea that, through hard work, courage, and determination, regardless of social class, a person can gain a better life.
Transport In USA
USA, being the largest and most developed nation, it has got highly comfortable freeway and highway transportation system with multiple large international airports as well as an extensive freight rail network. Though the mass transit systems are common place in some large cities; these systems tend to be less extensive than in other developed nations.
Why Study in USA?
In world educational rankings; US universities, US colleges and US graduate schools constantly rank very high; this is one of the prime reasons for enticing students from across the world to choose studying in USA’s educational institutes. On the other hand there are several world famous schools that warmly welcome international students.
The USA offers international students the most exciting, rewarding and comprehensive array of study options in the world. International students who choose to study in the USA have almost unlimited study choices. Furthermore, an advantage for international students who successfully complete their US study are highly sought-after by employers worldwide.
World Class Learning Institutions In USA
The US has more educational institutions of higher learning than any other country in the world. The reason why most students opt for US education is the quality of education provided by their academic bodies. Most American colleges and universities offer quite advanced education programs with highly qualified teaching staff and that too with high end technology and unique methodology of teaching.
Endless Study Choices In USA
One of the biggest advantages of the US Educational system is the vast number of academic options offered to students. US, being a developed nation, has got vast resources and is well equipped to offer education in every area of study be it a Russian history or nuclear physics or music.
A degree or certificate from a college or university is of utmost importance. It may be good for nothing when it is not recognized by employers, well reputed companies or competent authorities. Therefore, the selection of a college or a university should be made considering the recognition it has got where one intends to get a job. In case of US colleges and universities, they are given professional accreditation by various governing bodies like government organisation, privately held companies etc. In order to get accredited, the college or the university is required to;
Meet the certain criterion relating to the way students are taught
Ensure a quality education with the standards set
Issue a degree or certificate that is recognised.
Supporting Industries, Training & Research
Expertise on any particular subject is obtained through the practical exposure to the subject. This is what one realizes in US where there great number of opportunities for practical training related to different areas of study due to vast wealth of resources. Moreover, most of the colleges and universities are affiliated with industry best organizations and researchers which ultimately create a platform for the students to gain hands on and invaluable experience on the subject they are studying.
It is appreciated and implemented well by most of the United States educational institutes to prepare every student for presenting themselves for each subject globally in tune with changing trends and demands of different industry verticals. In order to meet this requirement, more often the US colleges and universities focus on preparing the advanced curriculum development to meet the new trends and prepare the students all the way with a worldwide view of their respective area of study. The knowledge of the students should not be confined merely to the geographical areas where they are obtaining their academic training.
People and Culture In United States
What makes your studying more innovative and enjoying in the USA is the people and the culture followed throughout the USA. People here are more hospitable, friendly, kind, generous and open hearted in accepting foreigners with their cultures and values.
In order to succeed in the United States educational system; regardless of what degree or course a student chooses to pursue in school, one will have to practise computers and other advanced technologies. Many universities of US, incorporate the latest technology into their curriculum, encouraging students to obtain proficiency before joining at workplace.
The USA school system utilizes credit units and often accommodates working students; most schools offer various academic programs that are flexible in nature.
Campus life teaches an invaluable lesson of self-discipline. Besides, the experiences that a student gets in campus life are as much worth as the education itself. The lessons learned from co-existing students and living with others from all over the world are priceless.
Education System In USA
The American education system is unique in the sense that students are offered the most diverse set of education options available in the world.
- It is imperative for a student to have completed 12 years of primary as well as secondary education prior to attending a university or a college.
- The schooling should have been completed either at the public schools (or government operated schools) or at private schools.
- The schooling completed outside the USA is also equally valid making the foreign students eligible to enter a university or a college for grabbing the benefits of the American education system.
Have a look at the academic year in the US which is generally divided into a semester or a quarter system.
There are generally 3 semesters
- Fall (begins in September and ends in December)
- Spring (begins in January and ends in April)
- Summer sessions which usually begin in May
- The Fall and Spring semesters are generally 4 months each.
- The Summer session is optional and a student may either attend the summer session or visit relatives.
While in the quarter system, an academic year comprises of 4 parts or 4 quarters namely Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. Each quarter is approximately of 3 months.
- The students with a bachelor’s degree are eligible to pursue the Master’s degree program
- It is a highly specialized two-year degree program in a specific area of learning.
- You need to have a minimum formal education of 15 to 16 years, i.e. 12 years of primary & secondary schooling along with education 3 or 4 years at college.
- However, it all depends on the course and the requirements of the University you are pursuing to study at.
Moreover, the students intending to proceed further in the direction of education in a specific field can pursue a doctorate degree, also called a Ph.D. However, it should be noted that it may take between three and six years to complete a Ph.D. degree course, depending on the course of study chosen, the ability of the student, and the thesis that the student has selected.
Now let us understand the Undergraduate School program;
- It is imperative for the students, who have completed their high-school intending to join a college or a university, to attend an undergraduate school.
- These schools offer either a two year degree (an Associate degree) or a four year degree (a Bachelor’s degree) in a specific course of study which is called the Major.
- Most schools with a four year degree program admit the students who have not yet chosen a major. However, it is imperative for the students to declare a major latest by their second year at school.
- The students with an associate degree can continue their education at a four-year school and complete their bachelor degree.
- After the completion of the fifth grade (The last year of the primary school) , according to the American schooling system, the students are enrolled in the to the secondary school.
- The secondary schooling most usually consists of a total of seven years (6th to 12th grade) whereas the ninth through twelfth grade is referred to as the high school. In short we can summarise these years as under;
- Upon the completion of the twelfth grade, the students are awarded a certificate called the High School Diploma. In short we can summarise these year as under;
- 2nd to 5th grade – Primary School (The first year is Kindergarten)
- 6th to 8th grade- Secondary School
- 9th to 12th grade- High School
The legitimate age of a child to enrol in a school is 5 years. The first year at the school is called kindergarten and it is imperative to enrol every child in the American education system. Thus the first grade of primary school in America is the second year of a child at the school after kindergarten.
Very smartly planned and framed the Accreditation system in USA makes the whole education system unique in the world. Accreditation is the process by which universities and the programs offered by them are evaluated and recognized in respect of maintaining a certain level of performance and quality. Accreditation is usually done by non-governmental agencies called Accreditation Bodies namely, Regional & Professional.
- Regional Accreditation Bodies ascertain and evaluate the standards of education at the colleges and universities as a whole.
- While certain Professional Accrediting Bodies evaluate the quality of education in specific areas of learning like Business, Law, Management etc.
It is the Accreditation Bodies that ensure that universities meet minimum level of the education standards. It also helps in increasing the recognition of degree by employers and schools. It is mandatory for the accredited Universities to meet certain minimum standards of educational quality and are regularly monitored by accrediting agencies. This ensures that you will receive an education that will be worth your money.
It would be better for you to visit www.chea.org in order to find out the list of the Accredited US universities. Kindly note that the government of India recognizes only accredited U.S. universities.